Superfoods to Keep you Healthy During the Winter Months
As we head into the cold days of winter, it’s more important than ever to maintain a healthy body, mind and immune system. Small changes can make a big difference, and fueling your body with nutritious food is a great first step on the road toward better health. The following foods are supercharged with nutrients that can help boost your immune system, metabolism and mental health.
- Broccoli – Packed with vitamins, A, C and E, as well as fiber and antioxidants, broccoli is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables around. It’s abundant in our Farmers Market Salad and the Take on the World warm bowl.
- Almonds – These delicious tree nuts contain healthy fats as well as vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that is easily absorbed by the body.
- Blueberries – These little guys have one of the highest concentrations of anti-oxidants! Regular consumption of blueberries helps prevent and repair cell damage. You’ll find a full cup of blueberries in our Blueberry Brain Booster Smoothie.
- Kale – Kale contains fiber, antioxidants, calcium, vitamins C and K, iron, and a wide range of other nutrients. We’ve got kale galore at Enjoy … from our very popular Taste Like Ice Cream Kale Smoothie to our just as popular Take on the World warm bowl, we’ve got the kale for you!
- Maca – Grown in the Andes mountains of Peru, this root contains high levels of iron and iodine to promote healthy cells and improve metabolism. Maca is also a powerful adaptogen, which means it can help the body naturally adapt to external stressors. It’s known to increase energy, balance hormones, and increase libido. Find it in our Mighty Mojo Smoothie and the Maca Mocha Latte at Enjoy!
- Chia seeds – These little seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids and contain twice as much vegetable protein as other seeds. Sprinkle these over any of our smoothie bowls.
- Beets – Beets contain inorganic nitrates and pigments that are known to lower blood pressure, enhance athletic performance, improve digestive and brain health, and fight inflammation.
- Citrus fruits – The vitamin C in citrus fruits promotes white blood cell production, which is important when your body is fighting an infection.
- Ginger – Not only does ginger taste great in our Cleanzing cold-pressed juice, it also helps reduce inflammation and pain. We add ginger to many menu items for taste and nutritional reasons.
If you’re ready to boost your immune system, rev your metabolism and feel better both mentally and physically, Enjoy Pure Food + Drink can help you take the first step.
We believe that healthy, happy, and productive lives start from within, which is why we source only organic, nutrient-rich, plant-based food. Each of the powerful superfoods listed above is featured abundantly in our menu, alongside other delicious, vitamin-packed ingredients.
In addition to eating delicious superfoods, you can boost your immune system by:
- Exercising regularly
- Drinking alcohol in moderation
- Getting plenty of sleep
- Getting some real sunshine even if it’s just for 15 minutes per day
- Wearing a mask and frequently washing your hands
- Minimizing stress as much as possible through moments of calibrated breathing and/or meditation to become more quiet, centered and present