Food Choices That Can Help Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
How Simple Changes Can Make a Big Difference
If you’re looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint, revamping your eating habits can be a good place to start. Research shows that shifting to more sustainable eating patterns could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 70 percent and water use by 50 percent. The following tips can help you live a more sustainable lifestyle.
- Choose local – Buying from local farmers supports your local economy and reduces the carbon emissions associated with transporting foods long distances. In addition, buying seasonal foods from local sources increases the likelihood that the food is produced without the assistance of heated green houses.
- Use less packaging – Reduce your waste by using less plastic and Styrofoam packaging.
- Drink from reusable water bottles.
- Bring your own grocery bags to the store to cut down on paper and single-use plastic bags.
- Store food in glass containers instead of plastic.
- When purchasing fresh produce, skip the plastic bag and wash thoroughly when you get home.
- Cook smart – Some cooking methods use less energy than others. For example, operating your oven in the middle of summer will heat up the whole kitchen and makes it more likely that you will turn on a fan or up the AC. Altering your cooking habits can reduce your carbon footprint and your energy expenses. The following changes can help:
- Use the stove-top or microwave instead of the oven, as both require less energy.
- Eat more raw foods that don’t require cooking.
- Use your oven wisely by reducing the amount of preheating time, cooking multiple foods at once and turning it off as soon as you’re done.
- Incorporate plant-based protein – Meat and dairy require a lot of energy to produce, but you don’t have to eliminate them completely to make a difference. Start by swapping meat with plant-based protein one to two times per week. Great alternatives to try include tofu, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- Stop wasting food – On a global level, each person is estimated to waste 428-858 pounds of food each year. All that wasted food decomposes in landfills and releases significant amounts of methane. Eliminating food waste is a simple and free way to reduce your carbon footprint. Make a grocery list to stay on track at the store, plan meals ahead of time, eat your leftovers and buy only what you need.
- Grow your own produce – Not only is growing your own food good for your wallet and the environment, it’s also good for your health. People who regularly garden tend to have lower stress levels, healthier diets and improved wellbeing.
Enjoy Pure Food + Drink is committed to reducing our carbon footprint by incorporating each of the tips above.
- We intentionally source and hand select local ingredients whenever possible.
- We use recyclable packaging materials and minimize the use of plastic.
- We bottle our cold-pressed juices in reusable, recyclable glass, and we offer 25 cents off your next purchase for any bottles returned to us!
- Much of our menu is comprised of raw ingredients, which reduces the amount of energy we use to cook.
- We offer a wide range of delicious vegetarian and vegan options for those who want to reduce their consumption of meat and dairy.
- The meat options we offer are organic and wild-caught whenever possible.
- Our food is nutritious and delicious. Trust us, you’ll want to eat every last bite!
At Enjoy® Pure Food + Drink, our mission is to raise the consciousness of the planet through the positive energy of healthy, happy people. Visit us today or order online to experience the Enjoy® Difference!